Chers Amis,I didn't think I was going to post today. Maybe I was in denial. Maybe I wanted to pretend it was just an ordinary halcyon September day with an apple, crisp edge to the air. Maybe I would prefer not to look back, not to remember the image of the falling towers and the soft snow of ashes on Manhattan. But then there were the flags. Almost 3,000 flags: one for each man, woman or child - father, mother, sister, brother, daughter, son, family member, friend, loved one lost that azure morning five years ago today. They flapped alone and without fanfare Saturday morning after the volunteers carefully aligned them on the battlefield, already a quiet monument to other boys and men long forgotton. By Sunday, scores of pilgrims came to wander amongst the waves, but Saturday morning, as I drove past, deep in my own thoughts of
lists and chores, row after row reminded me that we must remember.
-- Marjorie
P.S. Photo taken by Esther McCarter and posted to 11Alive.com


No comments:
Post a Comment